Staff Technical Program Manager, Engineering
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
We are looking for multiple Staff-level Technical Program Managers to own and drive programs that span both the Engineering org and the broader company. As one of the first members of the TPM team, you’ll have the opportunity to make a foundational impact as you contribute to the formation and scaling of a centralized TPM function for the company.
Extremely strong soft skills are paramount, as our team will be front and center in driving lots of company-wide changes and top priority initiatives that require generating buy-in, balancing various opinions, and competing for attention in our rapidly scaling environment.
This role is a great fit for someone who has both seen excellence at scale and operated in rapidly scaling, high-ambiguity teams and scope. We are seeking candidates with deep TPM expertise but who are comfortable acting as adaptable generalists who add value fast.
We excel at maintaining a broad view of our work but diving deep into the details when necessary. We understand business goals, translate and organize them into technical programs and projects, and drive execution. We are adept at engaging with both non-technical and technical stakeholders at all levels of the company, including executive leadership.
Anthropic is an AI safety and research company that’s working to build reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our customers and for society as a whole. Our interdisciplinary team has experience across ML, physics, policy, business and product.
- Collaborate with engineering leaders to define, scope, and sequence major technical initiatives and projects
- Lead cross-functional coordination and planning for multiple complex engineering projects, acting as the glue between product, engineering, and external partners
- Own the relationship with key stakeholders at our large-scale cloud providers, partnering with them to develop and execute on shared technical roadmaps. Develop detailed project plans, timelines, and resourcing strategies for technical projects and initiatives
- Lead and manage company-wide strategic planning sessions and cross-functional prioritization
- Partner with product management to align technical deliverables to business objectives
- Develop and manage systems, processes, and tools to support technical program management and increase team productivity
- Establish scalable program management frameworks, playbooks, and best practices
- Provide clear and transparent reporting on program status, issues, and risks to executives and stakeholders
- Foster a culture of accountability, rigor, and continuous improvement on the technical program management team
- You can expect to drive a wide variety of work that ranges from company-wide internal process development (e.g., annual planning), technical program delivery in support of the product roadmap, and partner relationship management with our large-scale cloud providers.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Have 10+ years experience in technical program management, with a track record of successfully delivering complex technical programs
- Have experience executing technical programs that require systems and engineering-level knowledge
- Have exceptionally strong interpersonal and communication skills that enable you to influence without authority, build cross-organizational support, cooperation and action around initiatives and process adoption
- Have a high threshold for navigating ambiguity and are able to balance setting strategic priorities with rapid, high-quality execution
- Thrive in unstructured environments, and have a knack for bringing order to chaos
- Are passionate about Anthropic’s mission and ensuring AI is developed safely
- Developing and leading our company-wide annual planning process. Driving company-wide progress on initiatives related to the commitments listed in Anthropic’s Responsible Scaling Policy
- Developing and driving org-wide adoption of a program delivery lifecycle and associated artifacts (e.g., standardized engineering design documents).
- Serving as the single point of contact for our cloud provider partners, ensuring needs are met by managing on-time delivery of a shared technical roadmap.
Annual Salary (USD)
- The expected salary range for this position is $300,000 - $450,000
Location-based hybrid policy: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
US visa sponsorship: We do sponsor visas! However, we aren't able to successfully sponsor visas for every role and every candidate; operations roles are especially difficult to support. But if we make you an offer, we will make every effort to get you into the United States, and we retain an immigration lawyer to help with this.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills. We're trying to build a core of knowledge and intuition about the most robustly effective innovations in AI, and so thoroughly-documented null results are almost as valuable as positive discoveries. We do not have boundaries between engineering and research, and we expect all of our technical staff to contribute to both as needed.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Come work with us!
Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.