Head of Social
Who We Are:
Calm is the leading mental health brand, on a mission to support everyone on every step of their mental health journey. With the #1 app for sleep, meditation and relaxation, Calm’s transformational mindfulness content supports users across seven languages in more than 190 countries.
We are hiring remote workers for this role in the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, or NYC. At this time, only candidates in these locations will be considered.
What We Do:
We’re the Consumer Marketing team at Calm. We’re responsible for stewarding the brand across all touchpoints, and we’re passionate about creating talk-worthy moments that generate conversation and keep Calm top of mind in an ever-growing category. Our team oversees Social, Editorial, Product Marketing, Content Marketing and Brand, and we’re looking for experienced, skilled and passionate candidates to join our team.
If you’re looking to make an impact in the world of mental wellness through social, we’d love to hear from you.
What You’ll Do:
This role will be the social lead at Calm, and will be responsible for managing the social media strategy and execution across Calm’s social presence, working cross-functionally with our Editorial, Content, and PR teams to develop best-in-class content and maintain Calm’s standing as the leading brand in the mental health category. They’ll report into the Director of Consumer Marketing. This person will have oversight across all social channels from start to finish, and will be responsible for refreshing the current strategy, leading the vision for creative concepts and briefing, and be comfortable with day-to-day executional work. It’s critical this person is passionate about social media, mental health, culture, and has a solid understanding of how social media and PR can work together to create meaningful, earned-first, social-centric moments that drive conversation.
This role will lead the social strategy for major marketing initiatives, new in-app content launches and product releases, coordinating cross-functionally with the teams required to bring the strategy to life. They’ll manage the workflow for the social team to ensure all work is on-brand, executed flawlessly and at speed when necessary, while pushing the boundaries of innovation and taking creative risks to keep the brand top of mind in an ever-crowded social ecosystem.
This person will need to be a strong individual contributor, and feel comfortable working with a team of contractors (in addition to internal team members) to bring their strategy to life.
- Independently lead the development of Calm’s social strategy across all platforms, including, but not limited to, Instagram and Reels, TikTok, X, Threads, YouTube and Facebook.
- Develop earned-first, social-centric ideas in partnership with the PR team to drive social buzz/conversation and earned media around the most meaningful brand and cultural moments.
- Collaborate with Calm’s internal and external creative teams and a nimble team of social freelancers to execute against a refreshed social strategy.
- Own the social strategy for major marketing priorities, brand moments, new in-app content and talent releases, product and feature releases and more.
- Oversee partnerships with key platforms including Meta, TikTok, YouTube and others to ensure Calm has access to new innovation opportunities within the platforms to drive engagement and grow our audiences.
- Collaborate closely with XFN teams, including Creative, Content, PR, Paid Marketing, Partnerships & Product to bring the social strategy to life and spot opportunities for growth-drivers across the org.
- Monitor and analyze content performance in partnership with Calm’s analytics lead to apply key learnings to both improve performance in real time and optimize future strategies.
Who You Are:
- 7+ years proven experience creating, executing, and leading social marketing in a rapid growth environment
- Passion for culture and bringing earned-centric, social-first ideas to life for brands
- Strong understanding and eye for social content and brand creative
- Deep knowledge and expertise of social platforms
- Ability to deliver insights and points of view based on data
- Ability to oscillate between high-level strategy and day-to-day execution with a small, nimble team – you’re not afraid to get your hands dirty
- Ability to collaborate and influence internally
- Ability to ideate and execute at a fast pace in order to seize reactive and/or trend-centric moments impactfully
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail
Nice to Haves:
- Bachelors/advanced degree, or equivalent experience
- Previous experience in tech, wellness or a similar fast-paced industry
- Work experience or personal interest in the mental health space
- Experience thriving in a remote-first company
- This role requires 10 years of related experience.
The anticipated salary range for this position is $139,500 - $195,300. The base salary range represents the low and high end of Calm’s salary range for this position. Not all candidates will be eligible for the upper end of the salary range. Exact salary will ultimately depend on multiple factors, which may include the successful candidate's geographic location, skills, experience and other qualifications. This role is also eligible for equity + comprehensive benefits + 401k + flexible time off.
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, including disabled veterans. Please contact Calm’s Recruiting team if you need a reasonable accommodation or any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Calm participates in e-verify. E-verify provides the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.