Ironmaking Engineering Manager
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2023
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About the role
Charm is looking for an accomplished Engineering Manager who will own the development and execution of the roadmap for the ironmaking team. In this role, you'll be responsible for setting the priorities for the ironmaking team, which includes understanding the technical intricacies of integrating bio oil into the ironmaking process and comprehending the scaling challenges our technology faces. You'll also be responsible for communicating essential business and technological risks, along with strategies to mitigate them, to key stakeholders, encompassing company leadership and your own team members.
At the heart of this role is managing a team of engineers and technicians, ensuring their alignment with business priorities, and collaborating cross-functionally with other engineering managers to prioritize shared resources such as the electronics and automation team.
- You'll be responsible for developing and executing the ironmaking team roadmap, with a primary focus on reducing risks associated with Direct Reduced Iron processing using gasified bio oil as a reductant
- You'll define and shape milestones, and hold the team accountable for meeting these milestones
- You'll oversee critical deliverables, including engineering design reviews and test plans, to ensure that key risks are retired through rigorous testing and measurement.
- You'll ensure the team's prioritization of actionable information derived from test campaigns
- You'll be an advocate for your team, stepping in when additional resources are required
- You'll maintain a consistent high level of technical rigor in the field of ironmaking, which may involve presenting or participating in conferences and staying up-to-date with relevant literature
- Demonstrated expertise in guiding cross-functional teams to achieve impactful outcomes
- An ability to prioritize based on business decisions, adapting strategies when necessary in response to new information
- Proficiency in crafting clear and comprehensive documentation, and an ability to communicate both within your team and synthesize information for other stakeholders
- A strong commitment to safety across mechanical design and implementation
Bonus, if you bring:
- Experience with metallurgical processes.
- Understanding of thermal conversion processes, including combustion and gasification.
- Experience with high-temperature systems.
- Competence in the safe handling of flammable materials and oxygen.
This role reports directly to the Head of Development and Testing and is not open to remote work.
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
· Traditional and Roth 401(k)
· Paid time off, including parental leave
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches at a sweet workplace with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.