Operations Controls Engineer
fort lupton, co, usa
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2023
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About the Role
We are looking for a Controls Engineer to support our ongoing operations of Pyrolyzers. Our budding fleet of Pyrolyzers are being operated both on deployment, in locations around the US, and onsite in Ft Lupton, and we are keeping them online 24/7. This requires significant support, and we are looking to start building a strong support team as our operations grow.
You will work closely with the rest of the operations engineering team, operations team, and the operators themselves to understand pain points of the current system and failures that are most severe and most frequent. You will work with the operations engineering team to implement both short and long term fixes to operational pain points, prioritizing your work based on the severity and frequency of those pain points. You will also be a resource for actively troubleshooting any problems that the operators are facing, providing sound engineering judgment to navigate off-nominal conditions or equipment failures, including taking call time to ensure engineering coverage during 24/7 ops.
As we continue standing up bio-oil production lines for carbon removal, you will play a key part in improving yields, uptime, throughput and safety to put more carbon underground every day.
- Work alongside our operations engineering team to help scope and implement our automation and SCADA system for both our site-wide and pyrolyzer-wide automation.
- Act as a troubleshooting thought partner for any failures that arise during operation, which may include taking scheduled call time for the operations team.
- Be the sole Controls Engineer responsible for implementing solutions ranging from installing new high power motors, adding additional system telemetry, and modifying PLC/HMI code as needed on our pyrolysis systems.
- Pass along learnings to the rest of our engineering team for implementation in future system designs.
- A breadth of controls knowledge with different PLC and SCADA systems, making you a jack of all trades when it comes to plant automation and controls.
- Top-notch troubleshooting skills and an eagerness to learn about all aspects of our process and equipment.
- A desire to work alongside mechanical engineers and fabricators to turn solutions into physical, installed hardware as quickly as possible, including sometimes filling in controls knowledge gaps as you may know how to piece together the right automation strategy for their designs.
- Documentation skills that demonstrate your thought process and design process when making improvements.
- Quick implementation skills to make quick and long-term fixes to the pyrolysis system in service of system improvement.
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
· Traditional and Roth 401(k)
· Paid time off, including parental leave
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches at a sweet workplace with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.