Director of Education and Business Development
MAPS Public Benefit Corporation
Sales & Business Development
Remote · United States
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Join our mission to deliver global healing:
The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit research and educational organization that develops medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana. Research indicates that psychedelics have the potential to be a breakthrough in treating PTSD, depression, addiction, and other conditions.
MAPS has worked for over 37 years toward paving the way for the education and legalization of such breakthrough medicines. MAPS is committed to bringing these healing modalities to the world and providing them in such a way that communities that most need mental health resources have access to them. This shift has the potential to unlock previously unavailable resources for the investigation of psychedelic-assisted treatments applied to our most critical mental health challenges.
How you can help deliver global healing:
MAPS is seeking an experienced Education and Business Development professional to lead our Education Department. The Director of Education and Business Development will create the organization's Education strategy, Education partnerships and sponsorship, professional education, and public education efforts.
Reporting to the VP of Marketing at MAPS, the Director of Education and Business Development is a high-impact role that requires strategic thinking, principled execution, a partnership and revenue orientation, and excellent people and communication skills.
This work requires someone who shares MAPS’ vision and embraces our mission to develop medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana. The Director of Education and Business Development will be involved in decisions that affect MAPS’ ability to deliver on its mission and make global healing possible directly through education and outreach.
More about you:
You feel in the depth of your being that your professional and personal paths have all led to MAPS. In other words, MAPS is one of your dream causes. What is MAPS’ cause? It is rooted in real healing for all despite access to resources. You are a lifelong devotee to social justice causes like racial equality, health equity, and of course…drug policy reform. You are perpetually fascinated by storytelling and the human experience. You deeply value creative space. It would be one of your life’s most profound privileges to help shape the story of MAPS as it approaches a milestone with a magnitude that has the potential to forever change the way people heal.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
We are sharing a full list of strategic responsibilities because we aim to give a full picture and scope, not because we expect you to have previous experience in each area. In fact, research shows that men apply for a job or promotion when they meet 60% of the qualifications; whereas women and some marginalized identities only apply if they meet every requirement. We encourage you to apply if you feel you have the personal and professional experience to lead a team to success in these areas. We want to hear from you, and therefore implore you to apply even if you don’t check every box:
- Create a strategic plan for MAPS’ educational offerings, including public and professional education, partnership opportunities, channel strategies, and funding strategies
- Use a partnership approach to help MAPS spread the word about our education, policy, and research. This is broadly defined to include innovative ways to grow our brand and our messaging
First Responder Psychedelic Crisis Assessment and Intervention Training Program:
- Bring the Pilot Denver First Responder Training program to market and create a commercialization plan for expanding the training to other cities, states, and organizations
- Create the operational plan for distribution and curriculum updates
- Ensure the program meetings accreditation and training standards
- Develop pricing
- Create a sales plan and customer service plan
- Maintain relationships with subject matter experts
- Develop and manage the Therapist Education Program for international markets (non-US)
- Develop innovative funding sources for training
- Gather learnings and data to communicate the benefits of the program
- Create a pipeline of interested therapists
- Create partnerships to execute the trainings
- Develop MAPS’ online course and broader education strategy, encompassing our current Psychedelic Fundamentals course and the creation of additional courses as needed, through partnerships or internally
- Assess marketplace needs, potential partners, and revenue models
- Determine the benefits of creating a MAPS podcast, and which model to use or who to partner with to produce it
- Create a plan for delivering education to the broader public. This may include printed or online materials, events and speakers, public awareness campaigns, books and publications, white papers, etc
Policy and Advocacy
- Work with the Policy and Advocacy team to determine the need and message points for key policy initiatives
Harm Reduction Education
- Ensure Harm Reduction and Safe Use messages are standardized and utilized as part of our education communications
Comms, Community, and Events
- Work with other Marketing departments to ensure key educational messages are consistent in all programs and communications
Our ideal candidate for this role is someone who encompasses the following experience and skillset centered in alignment with our principles and values:
- Education and courses background: Experience creating and commercializing educational courses for the public and professional sectors
- Partnerships: Experience creating high-value partnerships to deliver big programs, especially in the education and media industries
- Leadership: Strategic thinker with the ability to create a strategic plan and execute the plan successfully, meeting OKRs
- Psychedelic Field Knowledge: Familiarity with the psychedelic field and a willingness to stay informed about the latest developments and news in this area
- Resourceful and Proactive: A problem-solver who takes the initiative to investigate innovative solutions and channels for creating educational opportunities
- Innovative Thinker: Open to proposing new ideas and strategies that have the potential to expand MAPS’ ability to reach and educate audiences about psychedelics
- Government relations: Experience working with or selling to government agencies is a plus
Compensation, FLSA Status, Location, and Hours:
- Full-time, salaried, exempt
- Salary: $150,00-170,000 starting base salary and depending on experience
- Location: This is a remote position that will require you to have a suitable workspace with secure internet and reliable phone reception are required. This position requires frequent phone and internet meetings. Certain home office expenses may be reimbursed. A work computer will be provided
- Applicants are encouraged to be available during standard business hours (9:00 AM - 5:00 PM your local time, Monday through Friday). The exact schedule may be arranged upon hire. Occasional weekend hours may be required with advance arrangement and travel a few times a year may be required
- Some travel may be required (with COVID-19 precautions)
- Health insurance/FSA/HRA/Vision/Dental/Life/AD&D for employees/dependents.
- Flexible PTO/16 Paid Holidays
- Dedication to creating a culture with work-life integration