Federal Accounts Manager
MAPS Public Benefit Corporation
Remote · United States
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2023
About Lykos Therapeutics
At Lykos Therapeutics, we are committed to making an impact on people’s lives. We envision a world where there are more tools available for the treatment of mental health and where conversations about mental health are destigmatized. We aspire to challenge the status quo through the development of novel therapies and therapeutic approaches to treat mental health conditions. Our initial focus is developing investigational MDMA-assisted therapy for adults living with PTSD. If approved by the FDA, MDMA-assisted therapy could be a potential new approach to treating PTSD, a condition that hasn’t had a new treatment option in decades.
MDMA-assisted therapy has been designated a Breakthrough Therapy by the FDA and the results of our two pivotal Phase 3 clinical trials were published in Nature Medicine. MDMA-assisted therapy has not been approved by any regulatory agency. The safety and efficacy of MDMA-assisted therapy have not been established for the treatment of PTSD.
Lykos is a public benefit corporation (PBC), with a dual mandate to generate shareholder value and public benefit. As a PBC, we consider the impact of our decisions on society just as we think about financial implications. We balance the interests of our many stakeholders including our employees, healthcare providers, therapists, investors and others. This means that we look through a public benefit lens with all that we do.
Why work for Lykos Therapeutics?
With 30+ years of experience researching psychedelic-assisted therapies, we remain committed to the rigorous pursuit of evidence-based development of novel approaches. We value impact, integrity, care, and openness and hold public benefit at the center of everything we do. We believe in diversity and inclusion of people of all backgrounds, genders, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, educational backgrounds, arrest or conviction record, military and veteran status, religions, abilities, and perspectives and are committed to building a supportive, equitable, and accessible workplace.
Lykos has a distributed workforce that uses technology and periodic in-person gatherings to stay connected. We look for people who believe in our mission, are comfortable with and skilled at remote work and collaboration, and ready to step into a dynamic and fast-paced work environment.
Federal Accounts Manager Executive Summary
The Federal Accounts Manager (FAM) will be responsible for all government payer contracting, healthcare account management, and clinical and business activities at the national and state level. Key accounts include Federal Government healthcare agencies (VA, DoD, IHS, TriCare) and all State and Managed Medicaid accounts. This role is responsible for the implementation of short- and long-term business plans that will optimizeappropriate coverage and patient access to MAPS PBC product(s). This individual will assess sales implications of short-and long-term actions with each federal payer account and take action to move payer decisions in a direction that will result in continued patient access to care. Building strong relationships and partnerships with Medical and Pharmacy Directors (clinical and administrative), case managers, and other payer management members will be paramount in this role.
The FAM will report to the Head of Accounts and work closely with Marketing, Finance, Legal, Compliance, Sales Leadership, and other key internal partners to ensure consistent exchange of important payer information, marketplace dynamics, and messaging. This individual will be expected to demonstrate strategic independent thought and work with minimal supervision.
- Relationship and Account Management
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with government payers to support timely formulary and medical management within designated target accounts to ensure patient access to MAPS PBC product(s).
- Navigate complex payer accounts and drive product advocacy with all key stakeholders and decision makers within assigned accounts, including the executive level, to create and communicate the value of MAPS PBC therapies.
- Is responsible for contract negotiation (where applicable), per corporate guidelines, to attain patient access and reimbursement for MAPS PBC product(s), while being mindful of contractual revenue deductions, net sales optimization, and effects of government pricing on commercial price points
- Execute the company’s strategic objective for obtaining formulary positioning, favorable medical policy, profitable contracts, and access for MAPS PBC product(s) with government accounts nationwide
- Provide educational/clinical updates and contracting negotiations with PBMs administering Medicaid Single state or Group Purchasing Pools
- Utilize and assist in the creation of appropriate Managed Markets marketing materials for company's product(s)
- This individual will demonstrate specific competencies through influence selling, utilizing clinical knowledge and value propositions, health economic and real-world evidence, marketing resources, executive level relationship building and leveraging and negotiating contracts
- Participate in Medicaid Pharmacy Directors and Medical Directors conferences to address challenges and provide solutions for patient access to MAPS PBC’ product(s)
- Work collaboratively with sales, marketing, trade, medical affairs, and HEOR to execute payer marketing strategy and pull through of a product(s) access or managed care contract
- Create clear messages for dissemination to sales on important payer trends, reimbursement changes, and billing requirements that will affect product utilization
- Adhere to and effectively communicate contract strategy, contract compliance, development, claims analysis, execution and ongoing tracking, management of contracts for government and commercial payers, insurers including ROI assessments and scenario planning to various levels of the organization
- Support strategic plans with defined tactics and objectives to move payer decisions in a direction that continues to open access for the appropriate patients. Deliver payer insights back to the market access team and commercial leadership as appropriate to help drive strategic planning activities
Contract Experience and Formulary Management
Sales and Marketing
Internal Cross-Functional Collaboration
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced graduate degree in business and/or healthcare related field preferred. Equivalent combination of education and applicable job experience may be considered
- A minimum of 10+ years of relevant work experience within the biotech, payer or pharmaceutical industry; plus 2+ years in a government accounts role calling on VA/DOD and VA PBM
- A minimum of 2 years of excellence in Account Management and/or Managed Care or demonstrated equivalent leadership experience
- A minimum of 2 years in the behavioral health/psychiatric marketplace is preferred
- Specific Managed Markets experience including a thorough understanding of government accounts and a demonstrated ability to lead multiple plan level pull-through initiatives with field sales
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Delivers and implements account plans for all assigned customers with financial considerations
- Ability to skillfully negotiate in tough/complex situations with both internal and external groups
- Established and current relationships with Pharmacy Directors and Medical Directors within assigned Federal/State government accounts
- Has clearance/access to Federal Government healthcare facilities, or the ability to acquire credentials
- Possesses broad based and in-depth understanding of reimbursement issues, payer segments, use of specialty pharmacies, the J-Code application process, managed market customers, state Medicaid, Medicare Part B and D, VA/DOD, PBM's, Employers, IDNs, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of payer decision-making for formulary processes, coverage, coding,
- Experience in successfully negotiating contracts and agreements
- Requires the ability to lead effective large and small group presentations
- Excellent collaborating and project management skills to work remotely with the ability to handle multiple competing priorities and tasks at once with little to no supervision
- Prior experience with planning, presenting financial models, and influencing favorable plan formularies
- Well organized with the ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage shifting responsibilities and complexity in a dynamic, cross-functional teamwork environment
- Models behaviors consistent with the company vision, mission, and values
- Travel may be required up to 75% of your time.
Competitive benefit package includes:
Paid Time Off (PTO)
Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
Employer funded mental health HRA
Home Office Stipend
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.